- Country of manufactureChina
- Melting point231,9 °C
Tin is a chemical element which is in the IV group to the main subgroup under atomic number 50. Metal concerns to group of heavy non-ferrous metals.
Under normal conditions simple substance plastic, malleable and fusible, from silver-white color. Tin can forms three allotropic modifications:
- below 13,2 °C are steady α-tin (gray tin),
- above 13,2 °C are steady β-tin (white tin).
- γ-tin — white, in the range of temperatures of 161 °C - 232 °C (melting temperature), metal, fragile.
- as a safe, nontoxical, corrosion-resistant covering (in the form of alloys with other metals);
- in a white tin (tinned iron).
- for production of a container of foodstuff;
- in bearing alloys;
- solders for electronics;
- it is used for production of ware (tin alloys - bronze and a pyyuter);
- in fusible alloys with bismuth, antimony and lead for switching of many semiconductor devices (use tin of high frequency);
- in medicine during creation of some seals.
Also found applications and compounds of tin.
The disulfide of SnS2 tin is applied as a part of the paints imitating gilding ("potal").
Dioxide of tin is very effective abrasive material, applied at "operational development" of a surface of optical glass.